I’ll skip all the preamble and yakkety yak about other and get ya right into the yummy goodness that is this recipe.
I found this recipe on the web but it’s so simple and something I’d do anyway. I added my own bits to it so I’ll just call it my own: Triple Zest Vanilla yogurt. Good enough, no, full on fantastic for a dinner party dessert!
1 litre whole milk (or 1% with a splash of half n half added to equal a litre)
1/2 cup active culture yogurt
1/2 tbsp lemon zest
1/2 lime zest
1/2 orange zest
1/4 cup honey (no more than that)
1.5 tsp vanilla
- Set up the sous vide and bring it to 113°F before beginning step 2.
- In a medium pan, wisking often, heat the milk (and half and half) to 180°F.
- Remove from heat and set pan in a cool water bath to reduce the temperature to 110°F.
- Quickly, stir in the yogurt, zest, honey and vanilla.
- Pour the mixture into canning jars and put the lids on.
- Set the jars in the sous vide and cook for 5 hours.
- Once cooked, remove the jars and cool down before putting in refrigerator overnight.
- Place a cheesecloth lined strainer over a bowl.
- Scoop all the yogurt into the strainer, cover with plastic wrap and set it back into the fridge for 2 to 4 hours to strain out the whey or as long as it takes to get your desired consistency. Thick is best!
- For a dessert, serve in small dessert cups, with a small drizzle of honey and Italian cookies or small biscotti on the side.